Planetary Formation and Exoplanets at INAF-IAPS
Who am I in a nutshell
I'm a theoretical astrophysicist and planetary scientist whose research interests revolve around the formation and evolution of planetary systems around the Sun and other stars. My main lines of research focus on the role of giant planets in shaping the evolution of planetary systems, the role of meteorites and minor bodies in constraining said evolution, and the role of impacts in shaping the structure and composition of planetary surfaces and atmospheres. Ever since my first postdoc, I've been actively involved in ESA and NASA space missions and contributed to the writing of various space mission proposals. Finally, as a tool of the trade I've a keen interest in scientific and high-performance computing.
I had the luck of learning from Angioletta Coradini: I can often be as irritating as her, hopefully sometimes I can also manage to be as good!
Staff researcher at the Institute for Space Astrophysics and Planetology (IAPS) of the Italian National Astrophysics Institute (INAF).
Research interests and fields of expertise
- Planetary formation
- Impact processes
- Solar System and exoplanets
- Atmospheric and surface composition of planets and minor bodies
- Space missions
- Celestial mechanics and N-Body problems
- Scientific computing and numerical analysis
Scientific and Professional Highlights:
- Member (2018-2020) of the ESA Science Advisory Team for the M4 space mission ARIEL.
- Member (2018-2020) of the ESA Solar System Exploration Working Group, one of the scientific advisory bodies of the European Space Agency.
- Asteroid (11803) Turrini has been named after me in 2017 by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) for my work in the field of planetary sciences and on the NASA mission Dawn.
- ESA representative (2016-2017) in the NASA Science Definition Team for future space missions to the ice giants Uranus and Neptune.
- Member (2015-2017) of the ESA Science Study Team for the M4 mission candidate ARIEL.
- Zel'dovich Medal 2014 - Scientific Commission B (Space Studies of the Earth-Moon System, Planets, and Small Bodies of the Solar System) from the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) and the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Main author of the first statistical impact contamination model of asteroids, allowing to study quantitatively the contamination of asteroidal surfaces by impacts.
- Co-author of the ESA space mission proposals L1 Laplace (then adopted as Juice), M3 EChO, M4 ARIEL and Uranus Pathfinder.
- International coordinator of the white paper The ODINUS Mission Concept submitted to the ESA call for ideas for the L2 and L3 missions in 2013.
- Principal Investigator of the project Vesta, the key to the origins of the Solar System funded by the International Space Science Institute in Bern in the framework of the International Teams 2012 program.
- Main author of the Jovian Early Bombardment model, describing the primordial bombardments triggered by forming giant planets in circumstellar disks.
- Co-author of the white paper HARPS-N at TNG: A Science Opportunity for the Italian Astronomical Community and member of the GAPS consortium.
- Scientific team member in the NASA missions Dawn e Juno and in the ESA missions JUICE, BepiColombo and ARIEL.
- Editor of the book Satellites of the Outer Solar System - Exchange Processes Involving the Interiors published by Springer.
Webmaster: Mirko Riazzoli